Saturday, December 19, 2009

Need



The following synopsis of Need by Carrie Jones comes from her website.

Zara collects phobias the way other high school girls collect lipsticks. Little wonder, since life’s been pretty rough so far. Her father left, her stepfather just died, and her mother’s pretty much checked out. Now Zara’s living with her grandmother in sleepy, cold Maine so that she stays “safe.” Zara doesn’t think she’s in danger; she thinks her mother can’t deal.

Wrong. Turns out that guy she sees everywhere, the one leaving trails of gold glitter, isn’t a figment of her imagination. He’s a pixie—and not the cute, lovable kind with wings. He’s the kind who has dreadful, uncontrollable needs. And he’s trailing Zara.

My Thoughts:
The Cover:
At first, I wasn't a fan of the cover and I had not planned on reading it after I saw it, but then I read about the story and I decided it was right up my alley and the cover has since grown on me. It represents the story well. The gold dust is an important part of the story and I love that the cover has it on the girl's eyelid. The trees on her neck are also an important aspect in that, the words are were she is most vulnerable. The title is PERFECT. I wondered what it meant, if it really meant anything at all, and it does.

The Book:
Zara (like Sara but with a 'Z') is a phobia fanatic that is dealing with her stepfather's death. He was the one to raise her and is the only father she's ever known. She not only loses her father, but she loses everything about her life when she moves to Maine to live with Betty, her stepfather's mother. (I love Betty) Zara quickly makes friends with two underdogs that are simply lovely, Issie and Devyn, and of course the resident hottie, Nick. Nick is not only a "cool" guy at school, but he's friends with the underdogs which makes him that much more likable.
Zara knows all kinds of phobias and recites them to get through tough situations, and I liked that. I think phobias are totally interesting and to learn more while reading a fun and creepy fantasy novel is pretty awesome.
I found myself wanting to read while I wasn't and thinking about this book after I had finished. I am eagerly awaiting the sequel, Captivate.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I like this cover even more than Need. I find that fact that the gold dust is coming out ofthe eye even cooler than her lips being gold dusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment