Monday, August 2, 2010

Darklight


author: Lesley Livingston
published: December 22nd 2009
series: Wondrous Strange, Book 2 of 3
publisher: Harper Teen
format: hardcover
pages: 310

The following synopsis comes from Goodreads.com

Much has changed since autumn, when Kelley Winslow learned she was a Faerie princess, fell in love with changeling guard Sonny Flannery, and saved the mortal realm from the ravages of the Wild Hunt.

Now Kelley is stuck in New York City, rehearsing Romeo and Juliet and missing Sonny more with every stage kiss, while Sonny has been forced back to the Otherworld and into a deadly game of cat and mouse with the remaining Hunters and Queen Mabh herself.


When a terrifying encounter sends Kelley tumbling into the Otherworld, her reunion with Sonny is joyful but destined to be cut short. An ancient, hidden magick is stirring, and a dangerous new enemy is willing to risk everything to claim that power.
Caught in a web of Faerie deception and shifting allegiances, Kelley and Sonny must tread carefully, for each next step could topple a kingdom . . . or tear them apart.
My Thoughts:
The Cover: This cover looks really, really good next to Wondrous Strange and Tempestuous (to be released January 7th 2011). I like this cover more than Wondrous Strange's cover. This cover is warmer than the first (which was cold. It was pretty much tinted blue. You can see it here!) It's not that I didn't like the cover of Wondrous Strange, it just didn't STICK out as awesome. This cover looks awesome! I love her dress and she looks so great! It's "theme" is pink! And it's overall beautiful.

The Book: I liked Darklight more than I liked Wondrous Strange. And I really did like Wondrous Strange. You can read about that here!
Darklight picks up, I believe, six months after opening night of A Midsummer Night's Dream where Wondrous Strange left off. Kelley is now working on her role as Juliet in, you guessed it, Romeo & Juliet. Again, I was not entirely enthralled in the story until maybe a third of the way through, but when I did, I couldn't put it down! And I didn't! In this sequel, we see more of Fennrys who is actually, surprisingly and refreshingly comical. Also, Gentleman Jack is back and as sweet as ever! He is quite possibly my favorite "non-main" character and I really hope to see more of him in the third installment. Kelley and Sonny both have to overcome being separate from each other and the doubts that come along with the separation. They also both grow into themselves far more than I expected.
One of the best things about Darklight is that there are unexpected twists that will leave you desperate for more! (You really want to read this now, don't you? ;] )
This book was a great sequel to Wondrous Strange and definitely fulfilled my hopes for this series.

Tempestuous, the final installment of the Wondrous Strange series will be out on January 7th 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment