Thursday, June 23, 2011

What Happened to Goodbye

author: Sarah Dessen
published: May 10th 2011
publisher: Penguin
format: eBook
pages: 267 (Nook)

The following summary is from Goodreads.

In the past two years, Mclean Sweet has moved four times. At each stop, she assumes a new persona, but it never quite works. Whether she's an effervescent cheerleader or an intense drama queen, nothing can permanently dispel the turmoil and rage at her mother since her parents' divorce.

Sarah Dessen's novel about a teenager and her restaurant manager father captures the vulnerability that young people often experience after the dissolution of their family. A compelling story; strong characterization; and with a touch of romance.

Cover:
I love this cover. I think that it really depicts what life is like for Mclean. The overflowing suitcase, which is absolutely adorable, shows how she's always moving around. I get the impression that it's just so constant from this image. I really like it. There was another one where the curtains were much less pink and hardly visible at all. I like this one more. For sure.

Book:
Mclean does what I wished I could do. I've only ever moved once. That was the summer before I started middle school. There were times in high school where I wanted to just move and start over. Be a different girl. The girl I wanted to be, not the girl that I was. I really didn't like high school. I mean, while I was there it was fine, but looking back I see how unhappy I was. Anyway Mclean has a lot to deal with and the best way she knows how is to run away and become someone else. This works for her for a while, but when she gets to Lakeview, somehow she becomes Mclean. Not Liz, Lizbet, or Beth. It's a great coming of age story about a normal girl, whose world gets completely turned upside down. Her parents go through a very public divorce and it really takes its toll on Mclean.
This is one of Sarah's best novels. Definitely a favorite.

I was able to go to one of her book tour stops last week. It was great! Sarah read from the first chapter and answered questions that were insightful and helpful. She did trivia where she gave out these great water bottles. And she signed books. She mentioned how surprised she was at how many people were there. There were a lot. Many waited outside the room because it was so full. I was lucky enough to get a front row seat. It was fun and it was amazing to meet one of my favorite writers. So amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment